First Church is the oldest Methodist Church west of the Rockies. The present building was constructed between the years 1870 and 1878. It is listed as a Methodist Landmark and enrolled on the National Register of Historic Places. Its tall white steeple, 185 feet above street level, is the highest structure in Salem and a local landmark.
Park on State Street in metered spaces. There are a limited number of parking spaces between the church and Micah building.
When You Are Here:
A collection of church records and an exhibit of memorabilia are available for viewing by any interested visitor, especially those doing historic or family research.
The adjoining Micah Building, formerly the Salem Elks Club, contains the archives of the Oregon- Idaho Conference of the United Methodist Church. These records and a small collection of historical items are also available to researchers and visitors.
Appointments for tours of either site, or for research in the archives, are available by calling 503 364 6709 or e-mail at [email protected].