Warmer weather calls for spending time outdoors entertaining on your back patio or garden, be sure to add some ambiance with patio string lights. Hosting outdoors is breezy when you have all the right ingredients such as inviting furnishings, a fireplace, a barbecue, lanterns, and string lights.
When it comes to entertaining, you will want your outdoor living space to be in tip-top shape. Below we have put together some amazing backyard ideas to help get you started. Transform your backyard into an oasis for hosting guests all summer long… and even into the late fall. Below each of the images is further details with links to each of the sources.
If you need something more low-key, just add some festive string lights to your outdoor patio. In addition to illuminating your patio or deck with string lights, you can add candles, illuminated mason jars, lanterns, and portable fire features. Once you have finished your backyard makeover, invite your family and friends over to celebrate your beautiful backyard transformation.
Tell Us: Which one of these patio string light ideas most inspired you and why in the Comments section below!
1. A Dreamy Outdoorscape. This built-in lounge can comfortably accommodate family and friends with a scenic waterway view in Cape Cod, Massachusetts. The homeowner loves her family room sofa and copied the look with similar dimensions, the tilt of the back, and the same size cushions. In the warmer summer months, they spend sunrise to sunset enjoying this outdoor oasis. The deck was built by @thomasjsed10. In the second image, the table with the beautiful hydrangeas was switched out for a fire table from @prism_hardscapes. Which look do you like better? (via @oldsilvershed)
2. Outdoor Dining Loggia. This house is old and the sea air has given it lots of patina. The bricks to the right have been painted and the paint has likely flaked, faded, etc. you could achieve a similar look with a lime wash, mortar wash, or chalk paint. The swing is custom. Encircling an antique farm table, the Havana Lounge Chair is from Gloster and is mixed with teak chairs, all sourced from Savannah Hardscapes. The string lights are from Target — the real glass ones, not the plastic. There are several outdoor outlets located up in the rafters to plug in the lights. (via Design House Interiors Group)
3. Outdoor Entertaining Deck. A beautiful horse farm in Central Oregon features this amazing outdoor entertainment area with a pergola. Outdoor string lights add evening time ambiance. (via The Hidden Touch)
4. Dreamy Outdoor Fire Pit. This circular backyard patio was created with pavers from Lowes. Wooden telephone poles were used for the string lights, also sourced from Lowes. Black Adirondack chairs provide comfortable seating for this dreamy backyard space. The smores cart was a DIY made from precut lumber, about a foot deep and 36 inches high. (via @brooklynlimestone)
5. Alfresco Dining With A View. This gorgeous outdoor space in Cape Cod, Massachusetts offers a magical feel with overhead string lights. Helping to extend this outdoor dining space later into the season is the freestanding outdoor gas patio heaters from Planika Fires. The cushion fabric on the outdoor dining chairs is from Perennials Fabrics. (via @oldsilvershed)
6. Outdoor Dining Room. Throw an outdoor dinner party this summer with string lights hanging from a DIY pergola for a magical atmosphere. The branches hanging from the pergola are tree trimmings from the property. DIY floating lanterns help to illuminate the swimming pool and create a focal point for dinner guests. All you need is some plastic plates, parchment paper, and some glue. To get the DIY tutorial for the paper lanterns, you can find the link here. (via @my100yearoldhome)
7. Outdoor Living Room. A comfortable outdoor living space with a grill is perfect for entertaining family and friends. Add in a fireplace for warmth and ambiance and some string lights for the finishing touch. The fireplace stone is Elkwood Tuscan Ridge by Dutch Quality. (via @beyond_gray)
8. A Luminous Balcony. If you live in an apartment or condo, this would be the perfect solution for a cozy outdoor oasis. Adorn your space with string lights and lanterns for a magical nighttime experience. There is enough space to curl up with a good book, a romantic dinner for two, or invite a couple of guests over for a cocktail! (via @healthylifestyle_domi_)
9. Backyard Pergola. The pergola was sourced from @sunjoylife. The outdoor chairs are from @tjmaxx, while the lanterns on the table are from @homegoods. Hanging from above the table, the candelabra is from Etsy. String lights help to provide additional ambiance. Grounding this space is an outdoor rug from @boutiquerugs. The “Backyard” sign on the wall is from @thesimplyinspiredshop. (via @blessed_ranch)
10. Cozy Fire Pit. This gorgeous home in Nashville features this 4×8 spot in the backyard to enjoy s’mores and cool nights under the stars through the seasons. String lights help to bring a magical ambiance to this outdoor space. (via @crateandcottage)
11. A Mediterranean Patio. This outdoor dining space of a home in Los Angeles is surrounded by lush landscaping. The string lights provide a wonderful evening-time ambiance for dinner guests. (via Erika Bierman Photography for @northdesignpdx)
12. Alfresco Dining Poolside. Create a magical experience for your dinner guests where the focus will be all about the evening and not just the dinner. The overhead string lights add to the wonderful ambiance. A timeless home provides a charming backdrop to this elegant setting. (via @my100yearoldhome)
13. Backyard Desert Escape. Entertain guests in this backyard oasis with comfortable seating and twinkle lights for a magical ambiance. The daybed is the Sol Dolphin Gray Daybed from Article, while the wicker egg chair was sourced from Target. Grounding this space is an outdoor area rug. (via @wilson.home)
14. Romantic Outdoor Tablescape. This stunning outdoor tablescape is the perfect dining experience to entertain your guests. Set underneath a tree, fairy lights provide a wonderful ambiance along with hanging lanterns. The hanging solar lanterns can be found here. They are hung from the branches using jute and can be filled with clippings from your garden such as fresh-cut flowers. Adding to the ambiance are tea lights on the table. (via Home Stories A to Z)
15. Backyard Dinner Party. Create a cozy atmosphere with lanterns and string lights hung from the trees. A tablecloth on the table and beautiful dishes provide the finishing touch. Lean a sign nearby that can showcase the menu or say “Welcome” to greet your guests. (via Cassie Daughtrey Realogics Sotheby’s Realty)
16. Dreamy Backyard Garden. A fire pit and patio string lights bring ambiance to this backyard garden. The sectional was sourced from Argos, while the leaf pillow is from @bland_design. The wicker chair is from @hmhome. The fire feature is from @vonhaus.uk. (via @negi.at.home)
17. Fairy Lights In The Forest. Illuminate your trees for a whimsical vibe with these solar-powered tree lights by Better Homes & Gardens, found at Walmart. These lights would also look magical hanging from a pergola or gazebo. (via Walmart)