Image source: https://pixabay.com/photos/light-lamp-warm-kind-mellow-focus-4297386/
The purpose of lighting a room is to give the desired brightness within an area. Sufficient lighting should have a uniform or ambient illumination of the room. A well-lighted and maintained home is necessary to improve the efficiency of the residents.
What To Use
Image source: https://pixabay.com/photos/electrician-wiring-installation-3087536/
The materials needed for lighting the home are as follows:
- Circuit breaker
This is a protection device to cut-off the electricity going to all the lights within the house. It is also a device that automatically cuts-off the electricity when it senses a short circuit or an overload within the lighting circuits.
- Light Switch
A switch is a device to turn on and off the electricity going to the light bulb or lamp.
The wire is the connecting media for the electricity to flow from the source to the light bulb.
- A Receptacle or Light housing
It is a device that holds the bulb or light in place.
- Light bulb (Incandescent, LED, fluorescent bulb, or halogen lamp)
A light bulb is a device that emits a bright natural illumination and makes the surroundings visible.
- Maintenance Tools
- Lineman’s plier
- Wire stripper
- Safety goggles
- Shirt with long sleeves
- Long pants
Safety Reminders Before Doing a Lighting Home Maintenance
Switch off the circuit breaker to cut off all electricity going to the wires. Take note that it is not sufficient to just rely on the light switch. Also, ensure that the wiring system does not reach any water. Water is a good electricity conductor. It may cause an electric shock to a person who might be touching a live wire.
Recommended read: Top 5 Home Repairs You Should Never Do Yourself
How to Do Home Lighting Maintenance
You may be asking yourself: Can I do DIY light maintenance? If it won’t work, are there any commercial electrician companies near me? You are in luck! It is yes to both questions. Home light maintenance is easy if you know the basics. Nevertheless, if you need help, just phone your friendly neighborhood electrician, and he will be happy to help.
Here is a step-by-step guide that you may follow.
- First, assess non-functioning lights and flickering light bulbs. Identify a good line then, test all light bulbs that seem to have a problem. Remove all defective items.
- Clean all the dirty light fixtures and bulbs. Use visual inspection to check reflectors and dirty light housing. Use a paintbrush to remove dust and spider webs. Then, mix a cup of baking soda to a cup of warm water. Wet the piece of cloth using the solution. Wipe off the dirt by the clothing. Make sure to gently do the cleaning so as not to break light bulbs.
- Troubleshoot breaker malfunction. Reset the breaker and analyze its condition. Defective breakers are usually loose, so make sure to replace and fix parts if there is any problem.
- Search for any loose parts. If there is, tighten it with a screwdriver. Remember, loose parts, if left unattended, causes light failure or even worse, increase fire risk.
- Examine and organize wires. Check the insulated wire for any kinks. Sometimes, rodents bite wires, which causes a short circuit. Wrap around the exposed wire with electrical tape.
Do-it-yourself home maintenance is easy and cost-effective. But, it can be tricky and dangerous if you are inexperienced. It is best to ask around or browse the internet to look for a suitable service provider. You can simply type: commercial electrician companies near me, and your search engine will give you all the information you need, including the company’s location, contact number, and office hours. Then again, remember that home maintenance will keep your home safe for your beloved family. Therefore, it is best to do it regularly and ask help if needed.