MCHENRY COUNTY, IL — The McHenry County Sheriff’s Office environment is warning citizens to be careful pertaining to house improvement cons. In the course of warmer months, teams of con-artists that are generally referred to as touring criminals, make their way to McHenry County and goal homeowners, frequently senior citizens, and supply companies that close up remaining subpar and involve the home-owner to expend hundreds of pounds to mend, according to a news launch from the sheriff’s workplace.
Recently, an aged home-owner in unincorporated Cary obtained a knock on the doorway and a human being supplied to “Flex Seal” her driveway for a “bargain offer” but did not quotation a specific price tag, according to a sheriff’s office news release. The gentlemen, who are explained as getting Hispanic and in their 50s, did not estimate a particular selling price and, when the work was performed, demanded $6,000.
They were driving a blue pickup truck and a white truck with the “Flex Seal” in the back. Neither vans experienced any other identifiable markings.
Here are some tips to adhere to to aid protest your self from scammers:
- Qualified contractors will have evidently marked business decals and markings on their autos, and will provide you with a in-depth written estimate and proof of insurance coverage
- We stimulate you to inquire for 3 references and abide by-up by getting in contact with them
- Check with your local chamber of commerce and the Much better Company Bureau for opinions on the firm and the owner to see if there are any unfavorable critiques
- Ask your trustworthy mates and family for referral suggestions
- Wait around at minimum 3 days just before committing to a enterprise
And citizens are reminded that if it would seem far too good to be correct, it likely is a rip-off. And they are encouraged to make contact with their regional police division if they have issues.
Citizens that reside in the McHenry County Sheriff’s Place of work jurisdiction can simply call 815-338-3144.